Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Some Ado About Nothing

So my William Shakesyear is not beginning quite the way I resolved. I'm watching the same amount of movies, working out the same amount, and reading nothing except Entertainment Weekly and mac 'n' cheese boxes. Last night I spent an hour loading songs onto my mp3 player, then I watched part of The Hurt Locker and nodded off without even brushing my teeth. Never once did I touch the Shakespeare book. It is sitting on my "antique" "coffee" "table" in the same way my berry-scented candle does.

It's reader's block, apparently. It reminds me of finals week in college, when I would do anything - ANYTHING - to avoid studying. Finals week was the only time I would clean my bathroom. Heck, I would have volunteered time to give aid to those less fortunate rather than study. I told you: anything.

Reading Shakespeare isn't like studying. I just have to remind myself that I assigned it to myself, and while it is perhaps not as immediately gratifying as a war movie, it will pay more far-reaching dividends.

1 comment:

  1. Now that you've resolved to do it, it seems like work. I run into that occasionally with books I don't want to read but feel like I'm obligated to for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete